Saliva production aids in good oral hygiene and your overall health. So, it’s crucial your salivary glands make this important potion in the proper quantities. If your mouth is not making enough, called dry mouth, you’re in for a host of unhealthy issues that you may not even be aware of.
Healthy Mouth and Teeth:
In terms of dental health, saliva defends against tooth decay and gum disease:
– Saliva decimates bacteria because of its antimicrobial properties.
– A thin film of saliva on the teeth is like a force field defending enamel from acids and bacteria.
– Saliva carries away food particles that cause tooth decay.
– Minerals in saliva rebuild enamel surfaces on teeth.
– Enzymes in saliva aid digestion and make it easier to swallow.
– Saliva creates the lubrication critical for speech.
– Saliva helps to keep breath fresh.
The dental terminology for insufficient saliva is xerostomia, also called or “dry mouth”. Several health problems and some types of medications can cause xerostomia and when you are not salivating properly the below problems arise:
– Feeling of thirst and bothersome parched feeling in the mouth.
– Many forms of gum disease.
– Tooth decay
– Bacterial infections, yeast and fungus.
– Digestion issues
– Swallowing problems
Now What Do I Do?
– Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
– See your doctor to review which medications may be the problem.
– Use hard candy and chewing gum to motivate your saliva glands
– Daily brushing and flossing.
– Find foods that do not dry out your mouth. Avoid anything spicy, salty, or acidic.
– Your dentist can prescribe medications and/or artificial saliva spray.
If you believe you have poor saliva production, Dr. Damon Thompson would be happy to discuss it with you. Please contact Real Life Dental to make an appointment at: 540-552-5433, or come by our office in Blacksburg, Virginia.
Here at Real Life Dental, we endeavor to use our new blog as a regular means for publishing valuable content for our community through monthly blog posts. Thanks to the wonders of the Internet, we’re able to further explore some of the most important topics pertaining to our industry and area of expertise here on our website through these articles.
Each profession tends to be its own little niche, which is a good thing because it creates a unique space for our services and a place for you to learn and implement helpful ideas that can benefit you and the people you care about.
We’re excited to share this ongoing knowledge base of blog articles with this online community. These blogs provide timely and relevant information that’s conveniently accessible online. Indeed, we hope that this community will use the valuable information found in our regular blog posts, because they are an effective way for us to reach out to you on a monthly basis, while you still enjoy the comforts of your own home.
If you have any questions or want more information, we invite you to call our team at Real Life Dental in Blacksburg, Virginia, today at 540-552-5433. We look forward to helping you in any way we can, and we thank you for the opportunity!